Hidden River Credit Union
Virgil C. Scott, Honorary Scholarship for Volunteer Community Service
In honor of Virgil C. Scott (Scotty) a former veteran, educator, coach and credit union and community volunteer. For 37 years “Scotty” served his community as an education professional and high school teacher and coach. He also served as a volunteer member of the Hidden River Credit Union (formerly Schuylkill County School Employees Credit Union) Board of Directors and was a credit union advocate for well over 30 years, last serving as the credit union’s Treasurer.
For those that knew him, “Scotty” lived and demonstrated the values of volunteer service to others as well as the community in which he lived. Scotty’s affection for people and service to his country, community, church, and credit union as well as countless students and athletes over his long career were noteworthy.
He represented the very idea of the credit union service philosophy and motto of “people helping people” and enshrined this belief in his long volunteer service. In his memory this scholarship award is authorized by the Board of Directors.
- Open to all high school seniors graduating in the year of application who are credit union members or are children of credit union members and will be attending an accredited post secondary school, college, university or vocational school in the Fall.
- Minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 in a college preparatory, business or vocational curriculum.
- Demonstrated record of active volunteer service within the community in which he or she lives and strong desire to continue to serve within a volunteer capacity.
- Children of Hidden River Credit Union employees, staff, volunteer committee or members of the Board of Directors are ineligible for the scholarship award.
- The primary basis for awarding the scholarship is demonstrating enthusiasm for volunteer community service in which the credit union philosophy of “people helping people” is recognized.
- Completed, signed and submitted scholarship application (available below) by the May 15th deadline of each year.
- A copy of the applicant’s high school transcripts through the last semester (quarter) completed prior to the May 15th deadline.
- A typed essay of 500 words or less describing how the applicant has been affected, developed or impacted by their previous volunteer service, or how the applicant has impacted the person or organization in which they served prior to the May 15th deadline.
- Two letters of recommendation, not to exceed two pages, for each applicant from a personal mentor, leader, teacher, coach or community or organization leader who is NOT a family member and will describe in detail the efforts and contributions toward service of the applicant prior to the May 15th deadline.
- Completed applications must be postmarked prior to the May 15th deadline and all materials submitted with the application will not be returned. All scholarship recipients will be notified by mail within 30 days of the application deadline and will be publicly announced upon acceptance.
- Please submit all paper work to Hidden River Credit Union ATTN: Virgil C. Scott Scholarship, 60 Westwood Road, Pottsville, PA 17901
In 2018 HRCU will award two (2) $1,000 Virgil C. Scott Volunteer Community Service Scholarship Awards to one (1) male and one (1) female member applicant planning to attend an accredited post secondary school, college, university or vocational school beginning study in the Fall of 2018. Awards will be payable to recipient. Previous award recipients will be ineligible to apply in the future.