When the need to repair or replace your septic system comes out of nowhere, we can help!
Our Septic Loan Program makes it easier for qualified homeowners to:
- Repair or replace an existing connection to public sewer OR an individual, on-lot sewage disposal system;
- Connect for the first time to public sewer.
Take advantage of this low-cost loan funded by PENNVEST and administered by the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency.
- Pay an attractive interest rate for this vital home improvement.
- No prepayment penalties if the loan is paid off early.
- Use government funds while going through your local lender – Hidden River Credit Union
- Increase the value and marketability of your home.
- Eliminate worries about your septic system when you sell your home.
- Improve the environmental health of your property.
- Avoid or respond to citations from your municipality.
Loan Terms & Sample Payments
- Fixed interest rate for life of loan, currently as low as 1.75%*
- Up to 20 years to repay the loan balance.
- Funds can be used for design, construction, and permit costs.
- If you borrow $15,000 at 1.75% (2.55% APR*) for 20 years, you pay $75 monthly.
- If you borrow $25,000 at 1.75% (2.22% APR*) for 20 years, you pay $124 monthly.
- No restrictions on household income as of 1/20/2016.
- Borrowers must be PA residents seeking to improve their primary residence which meets program requirements.
- Project Location: for on-lot septic repair, all areas of PA are eligible unless a public wastewater collection and treatment system is either in place or will be constructed in the next five years. For sewer connections, any area of PA is eligible.
- Allowable Project Types: rehabilitation, improvement, repair, or replacement of an existing septic system or a homeowners’ lateral connection to a public sewer.
- Financeable Project Costs: system design charges, construction fees and costs, inspection, and permit fees, connection fees (also known as “tap-in fees”), and most loan origination fees.
- Two unit dwellings deeded as one property are eligible unless the residence is a manufactured home, then one unit only.
- Documentation: applicants must gather and provide for lender and PHFA review, all income and credit information, applicable permits, project specifications, connection fees for sewer connections, or, if you are replacing or repairing an on-lot septic system, verification from your local municipality that a wastewater disposal system neither exists nor is planned in the next five years. Additional information supporting the loan application may also be requested.
Learn More and Apply TODAY
- For more information, call PHFA’s Solution Center at 855-U-ARE-HOME (855-827-3466) or visit www.phfa.org.
- Please visit www.phfa.org/application to apply. Print your completed application and bring it in to any HRCU location, or call to make an appointment with one of our lending specialists.
- Work with design and construction professionals of your choice to develop an approved system.
*APR (Annual Percentage Rate). Subject to credit approval and eligibility restrictions, including loan use and owner occupancy. Interest rate quoted as of 1/1/2017. The APR is fixed for the term of the loan. Borrower pays origination and closing charges. Sample payments based on $15,000 and $25,000 loan examples have twenty-year term and 240 payments. Total finance charge for a $15,000 loan is $3, 869 and for a $25,000 loan is $5,727.